Tuesday 29 March 2011

Happy things: Sunshine, earthworks and old stones

I've had a lovely time enjoying the sunshine over the last few days. It does make a HUGE difference when the sky is blue and it finally feels warm enough not to wear a coat.

I spent the weekend with my friend Tigs and we went off to Avebury to enjoy the archeology and more importantly, my discount in the National Trust tearoom. So good. Avebury is the biggest stone circle in Europe (or something like that) and being a graduate of history and archaeology, it's somewhere that I have ALWAYS wanted to go. And it did live up to expectations. Here's a picture of the ditch around the edge in the sunshine. Big.

Being fairly unskilled with a camera, I didn't get a good close up of the circle itself, but I did get a snap of the lichen on the stones.  


Amazing to think that the same stones have been there for about 5000 years. Amazing.

I could spend several hours waxing lyrical about the joys of a good earthwork, but I suspect I have lost you. Don't worry though, I have some shoe pictures for shoe challenges so I will eneavour to find some time to upload them.

No comments:

Post a Comment